Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Week 4: Reading Diary B

Sita Sings the Blues

Sita (Wikimedia Commons)

Part B of Sita Sings the Blues starts off on a rough note with our modern characters, Dave and Nina, breaking up.  Dave broke up with Nina while she was away in New York, and she was completely heartbroken.  Fast forward to our narrators, and they are now telling the story of Sita becoming pregnant and breaking the news to Rama.  Rama does not react very well, and the narrators bicker about what actually happened from here.  Rama shuns his wife and tells his brother to take her to the forrest and leave her there.  Sita starts singing her blues again, and at this point I feel like I have heard the same song over and over and over again.  The words are changing, but all of her "blues" sound the same to me.  They remind me of 1920's music, which is not a bad thing.  It feels like they've combined aspects of many different periods of time into this one short film.  The film begins to close as Sita is forced to prove her purity, and then once again sings of her love for her Rama.  Finally, we see Nina start to read the Ramayana and work on this lovely film.

One thing I noticed about the film is that they have multiple depictions of the characters.   This is something I did not really think about until the end of the film, and I noticed it with Sita's sons.  I really liked that they changed things up and displayed the characters in different ways.  I noticed three different animations of the characters, each so different and unique. I liked how at the end, the whole story was tied together and we understood the placement of the modern characters Nina and Dave in the film, as Nina begins reading the Ramayana.  I thought it was so neat that Nina Paley decided to base this character off of herself and make the story really come together.  I liked watching this film because it made me realize how many different ways the Ramayana has been and will be told.  It is interesting seeing the similarities and the differences in the two.  



Sita Sings the Blues  (Nina Paley)

No comments:

Post a Comment